$3,000 - $10,000
Annual Application Deadline: December 1
Scholarships are awarded for the academic year following the application deadline beginning with the fall semester. Re-applications accepted from former scholarship applicants and recipients who meet current criteria.
Scholarships are awarded to undergraduate engineering or pre-engineering students who are enrolled full-time in a post-secondary educational institution and pursuing a Bachelor of Science or Engineering degree in a course of study that traditionally has been a preparatory curriculum for the HVAC&R profession. Applicants must have a cumulative college Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a scale where 4.0 is the highest and/or a class standing of no less than the top 30% and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- the institution hosts an active ASHRAE Student Branch or
- the program is accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) www.abet.org or
- the institution is accredited by an equivalent agency outside the USA that is a signatory of the Washington Accord or
- the institution has a signed Memorandum of Understanding with ABET
For a list of eligible schools or accredited programs recognized by ASHRAE for the purpose of granting a scholarship, click the links provided above. Contact Lois Benedict at email@example.com or call 678-539-1120 (direct) with questions.
- Willis H. Carrier Scholarships
Two one-year $10,000 undergraduate engineering scholarships available annually. Scholarship was established by The Carrier Corporation in memory of its founder, who’s known widely for his numerous and significant contributions to establishing air conditioning as an industry. Carrier installed the world’s first scientifically designed air conditioning system in 1902.
- Reuben Trane Scholarships
Three two-year $10,000 undergraduate engineering scholarships awarded $5,000 per year over two years. Scholarship was established in memory of The Trane Company founder, an engineer, inventor & business executive, whose manufacturing enterprise ranks today as one of the world’s largest in the HVAC&R industry.
$5,000 One-Year Scholarships
- Gordon V. R. Holness Scholarship named for a former ASHRAE President (2009-2010). Presidential Theme: Sustaining Our Future by Rebuilding Our Past
- Frank M. Coda Scholarship established in memory of ASHRAE’s former Executive Vice President, who served the Society from 1981-2004.
- Lynn G. Bellenger Scholarship available exclusively to women. Scholarship is named in memory of ASHRAE’s first woman president (2010-2011). Presidential Theme: Modeling a Sustainable World
- Alwin B. Newton Scholarship named for an industry pioneer, who was granted 219 patents during his lifetime.
- Duane Hanson Scholarship named after the president of Gayner Engineers, a consulting mechanical/electrical engineering firm in San Francisco, California.
- ASHRAE General Scholarship
- ASHRAE Legacy Scholarship
$3,000 One-Year Scholarships
- Henry Adams Scholarship
Scholarship was established by Henry Adams, Inc, a consulting firm based in Baltimore, Maryland, in memory of its founder, a charter member and sixth president of ASHRAE’s predecessor society, ASHVE, in 1899
Applications and the following documents must be submitted on or before the application deadline to receive consideration.
- Official transcript of college grades. Transcript must be mailed. Photocopies will not be accepted.
- Three signed letters of recommendation as follows: one from an instructor or faculty advisor, a current or past employer, and another character reference (other than a family member). In cases where the institution has an ASHRAE student branch on campus, a letter from the faculty advisor of that branch may be one of the three letters of recommendation.