Internship USA was officially introduced in Singapore in November 1999. This program is designed to offer international students and recent graduates the opportunity to acquire professional work experience and enhance the technical skills associated with their major field of study while being immersed in American lifestyle and culture.
From New York to California, participants can expect to work in various locations in the USA for qualified host companies dedicated to delivering structured and practical training programs that abide by the US Department of State Exchange Visitors Program criteria.
Duration of Program
- Minimum employment period is 2 to 3 months. Maximum is 12 months.
- Duration of stay in the US can be up to 13 months (maximum 12 months of internship followed by an optional maximum 30 days of travel within the US).
- Legal work document and visa are generally issued for only the work duration agreed between each participant and the host company. Participants cannot extend work duration when they are already in the US.
- Participants who are required to return to school can only remain in the US on the program until the last day of their school vacation and must return in time to start the new semester.
- be at least 18 and not more than 30 years of age
- have sufficient English language skills to function in a business setting
- be enrolled on a full-time basis at a nationally accredited post-secondary institution or have graduated for not more than 12 months
- be in an academic program/course of study that is at least one year in duration and result in some form of degree, qualification, certification, etc
- have a proposed training program that demonstrates a correlation to your program of study or degree area
- show that your desired training is not duplicative of previous training or work experience if you have previously participated in an Internship USA program
When Is the Program Available?
This program runs all year. Interested candidates are advised to apply at least 3-4 months prior to your intended arrival date in the USA.
What Is Included in the Program?
Speedwing administers this program in partnership with various US J-1 sponsor organizations such as CIEE, AAG and CETUSA. Participants receive the following:
- Consultation sessions
- Job Placement Arrangement and Confirmation
- Interview with Host Company
- Legal Work Document – DS-2019 (required for visa application)
- Student and Exchange Visitor Information System receipt (SEVIS)
- Legal Sponsorship for working in the US
- Assistance in Visa Application (preparation of documents, arrangement of interviews etc)
- Pre-departure orientation and arrival package
- Air flight arrangement to the US (optional)
Upon Arrival in USA
- Comprehensive Travel and Medical Insurance Coverage provided by J-1 Sponsor for duration of internship in the US
- Assistance in applying for Social Security Card
- 24-hour Emergency Support and Services throughout duration of internship in the US