Who we are
We are an eclectic bunch at Benevolent, united by our belief that innovative thinking and purposeful technology can truly change outcomes for the better. Our mission is to re-engineer drug discovery and deliver life-changing medicines for patients in need and we do this by applying AI, machine learning and other advanced technologies to reinvent the ways drugs are discovered and developed. We strive to bring together unique skills and perspectives across biology, chemistry, engineering, AI research, informatics, precision medicine and drug discovery.
We are seeking research scientists and engineers at all levels of experience to join our team in London to work closely with AI scientists, engineers, informaticians, and drug scientists. As part of your internship, you will apply your machine learning knowledge and engineering rigour to develop and execute a research project around the core problems we work on at BenevolentAI: using machine learning to advance drug discovery.
We have one role available in each of the following three product areas:
- As part of the Knowledge product area, you will work on state-of-the-art NLP methods for Named Entity Recognition, Entity Linking and Relation Extraction. You will help us improve (1) our in-house methods for automatic information extraction from biomedical literature and patents, and (2) the way we represent this knowledge so it’s most useful for Bioinformaticians and Drug Discoverers.
- As part of the Precision Medicine product area, you will work on the development and evaluation of methods to identify clinically-relevant patient subgroups leading to actionable insights. You will help us improve how we identify and associate genetic variants with disease subtypes using state-of-the-art machine learning models on genomic data.
- As part of the Chemistry product area, you will contribute to the development and evaluation of machine learning methods for analysis and prediction of chemical properties in the limited data setting. With an emphasis on maximising impact on live drug discovery programmes, you will help us build on the state-of-the-art in the fields of generative and predictive modelling.
- Pursue a research project to investigate new approaches in applying tech-driven methods for drug discovery and development.
- Work as a member of a cross-functional team comprising specialists in informatics, engineering, AI, drug discovery and product for applied research.
We're looking for someone with...
- A strong academic background, showcasing creativity and persistence in efforts
- A BSc/BEng (MSc/MEng/DPhil preferred) in machine learning, computer science, or a related field, or equivalent commercial experience
- Experience using tools such as Pandas, Scikit-learn, Tensorflow, PyTorch, etc.
- Strong programming skills
- Awareness of, and passion for, the state of the art in machine learning
- Nice to have: experience applying modern ML and AI techniques to biomedical data, molecular data, or clinical data - for example, genomics, transcriptomics, epigenomics, proteomics, chemistry data, or biomedical scientific literature
Applications close on February 12th, 2021.
In addition to your CV, please send us a cover letter.
Terms and Conditions
Salary: We offer remuneration for the duration of the internships. However, remuneration remains subject to the University regulations & T&C’s - should they not comply with our policy, we reserve the right to review the salary allowance.
Together, we envision a world in which no disease goes untreated. If you are benevolent, curious, want to tackle real world problems and are willing to embrace new ideas, hit that ‘apply’ button and join us.