S&P Global Platts 2021 Commodity Summer Internship Programme is a 10 week summer training program commencing in June/July 2021. S&P Global Platts are seeking intern candidates that will be involved in working directly with one or more price reporting teams across oil, natural gas, power, petrochemicals, shipping and agriculture. The intern will gain exposure on how to generate the content that powers Platt’s price assessments and news produced for the markets we cover. As a part of the internship, candidates will have the opportunity to learn about the market reporting and price formation processes in addition to learning to generate and news coverage. Interns will be heavily involved in project based work supporting the business with its key initiatives.
The Location: London, Canary Wharf
The Team/The Business: You will be part of a global team in Platts Content and will be considered a specialist in the market(s) you will be working in. We are looking for high achievers from a diverse pool of undergraduate & postgraduate institutions that are passionate about the commodities market and reporting and want to develop their career in a dynamic, high performing and multicultural team. We are looking for interns who are able to work well within a team and can demonstrate exceptional learning agility, creativity and problem solving ability.
- Our real-time news, pricing and analytical services help markets operate with transparency and efficiency.
- Be part of a global company with a strong history of growth and a globally diverse workforce with 20 offices spanning five continents.
- Be known as a respected source of essential information and part of a renowned brand.
- Get the best of both worlds: a nimble, highly specialized company and a business casual culture with the benefits and backing of S&P Global – a company that fosters development and growth, as well as work-life balance.
- We are looking for world-class thinkers to join our team at S&P Global Platts, the principal provider of commodity price assessment and information to more than 10,000 customers in over 190 countries. The content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the markets.
- Price reporters provide insightful market commentaries that demonstrate Platts' thought leadership in the market, demonstrating our ability to spot key trends that help customers better anticipate market-moving events.
What’s in it for you:
- 10-week summer internship commencing in June/July 2021
- Training – including Basics of Market Reporting & Editorial Standards and new training on editing reporting, writing and media law
- Opportunity to learn about various aspects of Oil, Power, Natural Gas, LNG, Coal, Petrochemicals, Metals, Agriculture and/or Shipping markets
- Exposure to a number of market subjects including supply and demand, infrastructure issues, geo-political issues, transportation and regulation, and how these subjects impact respective markets
- Shadow experienced market reporters in assigned markets
- Receive hands-on research and reporting experiences and conduct research and writing assignments for potential publication
- Should you meet expectations and perform well, you will be offered the opportunity to join the graduate program at the end of the internship.
- Rotations and placements are based on business needs and determined by the business.
- Identify drivers moving the daily markets
- Learn and demonstrate successful interviewing techniques and how to obtain data for commentary
- Write concise, informative commentary
- Verify source information through appropriate channels
- Learn and demonstrate understanding of Platts Market on Close assessment process
- Complete all assigned news training modules and foundational training to learn about the commodity market. Shadow an experienced price reporter in assigned markets.
What we’re looking for:
- Fully matriculated students maintaining a BSc or BA degree, or equivalent
- Postgraduate & Undergraduate students in their penultimate year of studies ONLY
- All degrees welcome: concentration in Journalism, Communications, Business, Marketing, Economics, Mathematics, Finance, Engineering, or energy related disciplines preferred
- Strong communication (good verbal skills, listening techniques, and a clear, concise writing style)
- Able to learn quickly, multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Understand importance of building strong relationships and partnering with team members
- Problem-solving, time-management, attention to detail & organizational abilities to work efficiently with clients
- Intellectually curious; the ability to learn quickly
- Some knowledge of social media and web technologies (e.g. HTML)
- Significant comfort level with suite of Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint Excel)
- You must have the right to work in the UK through UK citizenship or approved EU Settlement Scheme.
About S&P Global Platts:
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with conviction. We’re the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.platts.com
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions on the basis of merit, capability and equality of opportunity, and without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law, or any other characteristic that has no bearing on a person’s ability to perform his or her job.
203 - Entry Professional (EEO Job Group) (inactive), 20 - Professional (EEO-2 Job Categories-United States of America), EDTGRP203 - Entry Professional (EEO Job Group)