SEEKING A FALL 2020 INTERNSHIP? Modern Industries is looking for a Metals Lab Tech Intern to join our Research Division in Erie, PA. Ideal candidate is an organized, hands-on team player, who works well in a fast paced environment. Anticipated hire date: AUGUST 2020.
Our Materials Research Division provides state-of-the-art technical assistance to firms requiring materials testing services or complex multi-factor research and analysis projects. Our laboratories are ISO 9001-2008, ISO/IEC 17025 (Mechanical and Chemical), AIHA, and NADCAP accredited.
- This position is a student laboratory technician position performing material testing on various metals in support of production operations. and failure analysis. Responsible for completing general labor assignments in support of production operations. Must be comfortable working in a "hands-on" environment.
- This position has led to full-time employment opportunities for multiple Materials Science and Mechanical Engineering Students upon completion of their degrees.
- Intern must be able to work a minimum of 12 hours per week, during normal business hours.
- VERY flexible work hours/internship schedule.
- Ideal candidate can work between 12 & 24 hrs each week. Please let us know your anticipated availability when applying.
- Preparation of samples prior to analysis and relevant testing - machining test samples, mounting and polishing test specimens
- Perform various materials testing processes and metallurgist tests specified by the Technical Service Managers and production Quality Control
- Mechanical property testing: machining test samples, dimensional inspections
- Metallographic testing: hardness tests, impact tests, nondestructive tests, tensile tests, etc.
- Assist with laboratory organization, supply inventory, calibrations, and cleaning of laboratory equipment
- Document results of testing for delivery to customers
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent
- Must have at least 1 year of hands-on training or education in areas related to materials testing, metallurgy, etc.
- Self motivated and eager to learn