Clara Foods is currently seeking a talented and innovative Intern to join our R&D Manufacturing department located at our South San Francisco, CA. As an Intern, you will have the opportunity to participate in activities directly related to different aspects of bioprocess development and industrialization and have exposure to different technology platforms. You will have the unique opportunity to work on commercializing transformative ingredients and change the existing food system. As a member of a larger team dedicated to develop a bioprocess for production of animal proteins by fermentation, you will be assigned a project to improve the overall end to end productivity of our lab scale process by doing the following roles and responsibilities.
**Must currently be an Undergraduate or Graduate Student in good academic standing with the ability to work for 6 months full time (40 hours per week)**
Hiring Manager: Senior Process Associate
Roles and responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the scale up team in setting up and executing internal pilot scale fermentations every week.
- Prepare media and reagents required for execution of upstream fermentations.
- Be a key stakeholder in executing complementary scale down experiments to support the manufacturing team.
- Learn, support, and execute downstream processing using various methods not limited to centrifugation, filtration (UF/DF), chromatography, flocculation, precipitation, etc.
- Structure back end data processing and convert existing SQL data into visual results and derive conclusions.
- Perform assays and support the bioprocess analytical team for quick turnaround of samples generated by the team (when needed)
Preferred skills and abilities
- Must be pursuing a degree in chemical engineering, biotechnology, microbiology, bioengineering, or any related field.
- Ability to work in the lab full time and lift 50lbs of weight when necessary.
- Must have prior experience in the lab and have good aseptic technique to work in the biosafety cabinet.
- Basic knowledge of SQL, R, Tableau to support data processing and analysis.
- Must be a good communicator and be comfortable with handling simultaneous asks.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods
What we can offer:
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly social events
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Paid Internship
- Opportunity to conduct cutting edge research in a great team environment
- Close to South San Francisco BART and Cal Train stations, including free shuttle service
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.