Would you like to work on some of the world’s most exciting projects?
Jacobs nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors. We are involved in some of the most innovative and impressive projects across the globe, such as ITER - the world’s largest fusion experiment. We have offices in Knutsford and Warrington in Cheshire, as well as in Gloucester, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria and Reading. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan. Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised. Our technical excellence and strong customer relationships put us at the forefront of our industry, along with our proven expertise in managing large, complex projects in the UK and overseas. What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, colleagues and customers, collaborating to achieve outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Jacobs Nuclear is a market-leading provider of independent and innovative engineering, environmental, safety and risk management services. T he company works in partnership with a variety of organisations in both the public and private sectors, including the nuclear, defence, utilities and transport industries.
Jacobs is recruiting Laboratory Technician to join a world-class corrosion research team. Our experimental and theoretical research is mainly in support of the nuclear industry. There is a particular emphasis on understanding, predicting and preventing environmentally assisted cracking and corrosion in safety critical structures. Our corrosion laboratories have an extensive range of modern facilities and our team of scientists and engineers are at the forefront of applied research in this field in the UK and overseas.
- Support to operation of one or more test rigs
- Working safely, in accordance with risk assessments and associated systems
- Safety shall always be the first priority for any tasks undertaken
- Planning and performing experimental work in controlled manner to the required quality standards Training will be given in the operation of the facilities which include pressurised equipment, elevated temperatures and mechanical loading machines.
- The majority of the work will be based in normal working hours at our Birchwood site.
HNC or equivalent qualification/industrial experience in chemistry/materials or a relevant technical field is required
Aptitude for mechanical and chemical operations
Experience of operating potentially hazardous equipment to safe standards
Although not essential, it would also be advantageous to have knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
- Analytical chemistry - Analysis and interpretation of experimental data
- Corrosion, electrochemistry or materials testing
- Working with and development of new experimental techniques
- Experience of operating a test programme under well-defined conditions and to a high quality Core Competences
- A strong commitment to safety
- Ability to identify, assess and address potential safety hazards associated with duties
- An ability to record data
- An ability to work flexibly as part of a scientific team
- High levels of self-motivation
What do you get? As well as the opportunity to work on projects across the globe, in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Jacobs:
- A competitive reward package
- Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations
- Family friendly benefits
- International Opportunities
- For your peace of mind, we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit
- To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.