Over a decade ago, Cepheid set the standard for innovation in automated molecular diagnostics with our first system and we’ve never looked back. And now, even with the largest installed base of any molecular platform, Cepheid is constantly innovating and evolving our technology has been heralded as game-changing by healthcare leaders for clinical institutions of any size, from small medical clinics to high-volume reference laboratories and major hospitals, to access the power of molecular GeneXpert® System delivers fast, scalable, and accurate diagnostic results while our expanding Xpert® test menu spans multiple clinical applications such as infections, sexual health, critical infectious disease, virology, and oncology. Make a difference in healthcare and join us on this mission!
About the College Recruiting Program:
- Our summer internship opportunities are the gateway for your entry into the exciting world of molecular diagnostics by enabling you to put your academic training and passion to work for a global company whose products impact healthcare every day.
About the Department:
- The Consumables Engineering Team, as the name implies, is in charge of the engineering, testing, and validating Cepheid’s consumable components. This team plays a critical engineering role in delivering products that meets or exceeds the customer’s need while ensuring quality of our product.
- During this internship, you will have an opportunity to gain professional experience in product testing as well as a fuller understanding of how a new product design gets implemented to larger-scale Production. Our Consumables Engineering department works closely with R&D and Manufacturing groups to ensure successful new product introductions. In this role, you will be a part of a fast-pace, multi-disciplinary, and creative team to verify a product design and implement continuous improvements to new and existing processes.
- Responsibilities include: - Collaborating with Consumables Engineers, R&D Scientists, and Manufacturing to test new product designs and introduce the new design into production to help assure that the product meets both customer needs and FDA requirements
- Hands on experience with new product design introduction, including verification and validation activities (including but not limited to conducting engineering studies and assay testing protocols).
- Supporting various activities related to consumable part qualifications in accordance with FDA and ISO guidelines.
- Maintaining detailed documentation throughout all phases of development through manufacturing.
- Assisting with technical aspects of Problem Solving, Failure Analysis, Data Analysis, and report write-ups.
Job Location: Sunnyvale, CA
- Currently enrolled in a college or university working towards a degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, Material Science or Biomedical)
- Completion of upper division hands-on lab coursework
- Able to conduct lab work in accordance with lab safety protocols
- Proficiency with data analysis software such as Matlab, R, Minitab, or Excel in order to conduct statistical analyses on collected data
- Analytical/troubleshooting skills and self-motivated
- Willing to learn new concepts, methods, technologies, products, and tools
- Effective interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Both an independent worker and an accountable team player
Preferred skills include:
- Proficiency with SolidWorks.
- Experience in medical device manufacturing environment.
- xperience working with biological samples in a medical device development environment.
- Working knowledge of in vitro diagnostic technologies and the highly-regulated nature of the industry.