The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is the largest public retirement system in Texas, serving more than 1.5 million people. Innovation, technology, and collaboration make the difference as we strive to continue earning your trust every day. TRS improves the retirement security of Texas public education employees through our 'best in class' investment management and delivery of pension and health care benefits.
Our Mission: Improving the retirement security of TRS members by prudently investing and managing the Trust assets and delivering benefits that make a positive difference in their lives.
Want to make an impact? Learn skills in IT, data architecture and data migration while gaining experience at a well-respected government agency? Our expectations? Understand our vision and apply your intellect and classroom knowledge to make an impact in the lives of public school employees.
The Data Architecture/Data Migration Student Intern performs entry (entry- to routine-level) project work related to their field of study, data modeling and health insurance line of business data migration. Work involves supporting agency operations with a primary focus on gaining practical work experience and business skills for personal development or to satisfy educational requirements. Works under close supervision with limited latitude for initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the Director of Enterprise Architecture.
Benefits of a TRS Data Architecture/Data Migration Internship: This is a paid, full-time position that offers interns the opportunity to gain substantive experience in data analytics and validation of statistical models. Interns enjoy the chance to get training and mentoring from experienced professionals in one or more of these areas. Interns may also be eligible to continue working part-time through the fall and spring semesters, depending on department and agency needs.
Here at TRS, we don't just fill positions. We recruit the best and brightest, and we'd love to hear more about you!
This position will start June and will end in August, 2020.
Salary will be dependent upon education level:
Undergraduate (Junior or Senior) - $13.50/hour
Graduate or Law School Student - $17.00/hour
All applicants must submit a resume to be considered for the position. The interview process will consist of a video interview in addition to an in-person interview. If selected to move forward, applicants will receive written instructions for both steps via email.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Standardizes and organizes data models using Data Modeling tool.
- Creates sub models and draft procedures.
- Creates data definitions and/or other meta data.
- Enhances current SQL Server Reporting Service data mapping report.
- Creates data quality reports using Power BI tool.
- May assist in researching, compiling, and analyzing data; entering data into spreadsheets, databases, and other automated applications.
- May assist in reviewing and analyzing agency policies, procedures, and forms and recommending changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assists in completing special projects and performs other work as assigned.
Performs other duties (general and department specific) as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications
Classification will depend on qualifications:
- Currently enrolled in and actively attending an accredited college or university as an undergraduate student with a declared major in Information Technology, Computer Science, or other relevant program AND within 12 months of graduation; OR
- Currently enrolled as a graduate student (Master or Doctoral) in an Information Technology, Computer Science, or other relevant program.
- Applicant will be required to submit a copy of official college transcripts.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
- Experience working on similar projects to the ones described above.
- Experience or study in a related field such as mathematics, information management, computer science or data science.
- Letter(s) of recommendation from program professor(s) are strongly encouraged.
- Experience using Microsoft Office software.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General office practices and procedures.
- The principles, practices and techniques of mathematics, data analytics, statistics and data science.
- Organizing and prioritizing work to manage a high-volume workload in a fast-paced environment, and completing work accurately while meeting deadlines.
- Strong writing skills and translating technical concepts clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrated interest in technology and technical topics through coursework, activities, or experience.
- Conducting data searches and evaluations of large amounts of information, performing complex analysis of the data, and preparing concise and accurate reports and written/oral recommendations.
- Simplifying complex topics into easy-to-understand language.
- Providing quality customer service.
- Using a personal computer in a Windows and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) environment, and accurately performing data entry.
- Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and other external contacts.
- Work effectively in a professional team environment.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions
Work is performed in a standard office environment and requires:
- Normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies;
- Marginal or corrected visual and auditory requirements;
- Constant use of personal computers, copiers, printers, and telephones;
- The ability to move about the office to access file cabinets and office machinery;
- Frequent sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position; and
- The ability to work under deadlines, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
Must be able to:
- Regularly, reliably, and punctually attend work;
- Work extended hours as necessary;
- Travel occasionally for work assignments and trainings;
- Show flexibility and adaptability toward changes in assignments and work schedules;
- Adhere to the agency’s internal management policies and procedures; and
- Exhibit work behaviors consistent with agency core values.
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Codes:
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty ( http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_AdministrativeSupport.pdf ) along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for additional information.