Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Data Science Intern for Sumner Semester 2020. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio
The Intern will support our Advanced Analytics Division. Advanced Analytics provides data management, software development, analytics, machine learning, and statistics across a wide range of research domains. This position will help to develop advanced statistical and analytical solutions for our government and commercial clients.
- Application of statistical models and machine learning methods
- Processing and combining data sets for analysis from diverse sources
- Summarizing data for internal and external reports
- Critically evaluating data for quality measures such as completeness, accuracy, and applicability, applying understanding of relevant research area nomenclature
- Recommending and implementing mathematically sound analyses and modeling on diverse data sources
- Communicating results in a clear, concise, and effective manner with emphasis on data visualization techniques
- Proactively managing expectations and meeting deadlines in a fast-moving, agile environment
- Maintaining excellent communication and interacting with co-located team members as well as geographically diverse team members daily
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- Graduate student in statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, or engineering, specializing in data analysis
- Minimum 3.0 GPA or above
- Strong course work in statistical, or machine learning theory and methods
- Course work or experience demonstrating algorithmic programming and data visualization skills in Python, R, SAS, or MATLAB
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be US Person
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED
- Prior internship or research experience is preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle's Legal Department.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law.