Maxar is currently seeking enthusiastic, creative, and space loving interns to join our Operational Excellence Engineering Team for the Summer 2020 Internship Program.
The Operational Excellence (OPEX) team has the responsibility to continuously drive quantifiable improvement projects company-wide and to build a lasting platform for continuous improvement. Members of the OPEX team are adept at facilitating change through a balance of interpersonal and structured skills. We are a team of collaborators, mentors, leaders, consultants, drivers, and individual contributors.
General Purpose of the Job:
As an Operational Excellence Engineer, you will:
- Collaborate with improvement programs across the company to grow a platform of continuous improvement
- Lead a variety of cost reduction, quality improvement and schedule reduction improvement projects, from ideation through closure
- Consult and provide support to managers on strategic objectives, initiatives and corresponding KPIs
- Drive accountability and performance on various process improvement projects
- Individually contribute and analyze process improvement projects as a Lean Six Sigma subject matter expert
- Demonstrated skills in programming, database creation, webpage development
- Comfortable with analyzing and manipulating data
- Comfortable working in a Windows environment, familiarity with MS SharePoint
- Uses Lean Six Sigma methodology to define, measure, analyze, improve and control processes
- Works with management to identify and complete projects in line with company goals
- Will be able to initiate most projects with some direction and complete all financial calculations to justify and validate process improvement projects
- Will be able to recommend improvement strategies to management and implement improvements that will have an effect on the company’s balance sheet
- Creates measurement tools to track performance and sustain improvements
- Leads teams in the development of Current State and Future State process maps, including Value Stream Maps and Spaghetti Diagrams
- Analyzes and validates data based on quantitative and statistical techniques
- Leads, directs, and coaches cross-functional teams on improvement projects to improve cost, schedule and quality performance through Lean Six Sigma and similar improvement techniques
- Support a variety of continuous improvement projects for all of Space Infrastructure.
- Understands, promotes, and teaches Lean Leadership
- Facilitates change through Continuous Improvement
Scope and Supervision:
- Work will require periodic supervision
- May provide functional guidance to personnel new to Lean Six Sigma
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor's Degree program with completion of 2 years or more, OR Master's Degree program in Industrial Engineering or related discipline
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, problem solving, and analytical skills
- Some experience in Lean Six Sigma implementation is preferred
MAXAR Technologies offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401(K) plan with competitive company match; paid holidays and paid time off.