Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish.
The people here at Apple don’t just build products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries. It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it.
The Manufacturing Design Engineers (MDE) are responsible for the development and implementation of key production processes in a high volume environment.
- 5+ years experience supporting new product launches from a manufacture engineering or product development perspective
- Experience with fabricating parts or jigs, fixtures, tooling, injection molding, plastics, ceramics, machine shop (CNC, mills, lathes)
- Proven understanding of DOE, GD&T, SPC and mechanical fabrication techniques
- Engineering management or program management background is considered a plus
In this highly visible role, you will have direct frequent communication and collaboration with Apple Industrial Design, Product Design, Manufacturing Design and worldwide suppliers. You will utilize your manufacturing background in the following areas:
- Assess the suitability of a fabrication technology for a given part design
- Plan validation exercises to demonstrate process feasibility and capability
- Plan, propose, and lead experiments to produce analyses used to drive design, development, and supply chain decisions
- Review progress of development activities at supplier locations and serve as point of escalation for critical process related issues
New Product Introduction:
- Acts as lead engineer to drive process development and capability assessment activities, reviewing part design documentation to ensure alignment with process capability
- Assign specific tasks and work with Apple suppliers to support process development and/or data gathering activities. Set clear goals for results and provide timely reviews of performance throughout program
- Establish validation procedures to determine acceptance of processes into development builds as well as mass production
- Review supplier tool design, process flow, equipment selection, DFM, and DOE proposals
- Identify shortfalls and corrective actions to ensure design compliance.
- Work with supplier engineering teams to map out process development exercises, secure resources, and commit to schedules in line with program goals. Assess supplier readiness to support build events and production ramp. Identify potential execution issues and provide recommendations to mitigate risk.
Education & Experience