U. S. Steel is seeking a Material Development Engineer Intern for our Research Department in Munhall, PA. The successful applicant will work with our Automotive Solutions – Material Development Engineers on a project related to new high-strength steel grade development utilizing laboratory tools and methods to simulate and model steel manufacturing and performance behavior. The Intern will be assigned to work directly with a Material Development Engineer but will also interact regularly with the entire Material Development team. The following non-exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities apply:
- Conduct laboratory experiments using a variety of steel heat treatment and testing equipment;
- Plan and execute laboratory-based projects to meet specific goals and objectives;
- Work independently on projects while relying upon available resources;
- Develop a strong background in the area of study by effectively utilizing the Knowledge Resource Center;
- Report frequently on progress using established communication protocols;
- Prepare and submit a final project report at the end of the internship.
- Candidates must be a full-time student pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree or PhD in Materials Science, Materials Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- Candidates must be a current student and have completed their sophomore year by June 2019 and be in good academic standing.
- Be authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
We are looking for motivated self-starters that can work in a fast paced, data-driven environment. The successful undergraduate will be an analytical problem solver, have an extremely high level of customer focus and a passion for process improvement. In addition, a successful intern will have:
- Demonstrated outstanding academic achievement and an aptitude for your area of study
- A strong record of team, project and/or people leadership in a work setting and/or extracurricular activities
- A willingness to take initiative to understand the business
- An aptitude for problem solving; strong writing and verbal communication skills
- A strong commitment to excellence and to personal and professional growth
- Must be resourceful, responsible, tenacious, curious, independent, confident and high energy
- The ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Leadership and strong decision-making skills
- Ability to think and act both strategically and tactically