The Engine Oils Product Development Engineer/Scientist is to build our core competency and develop lubricants for Passenger Cars and Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines. The demand for the engine lubricants with better fuel economy and durability has been rapidly growing over the years. This position is critical in understanding the technical needs of key customers and Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) and translating those needs into a profitable, efficient product development. This position requires a thorough understanding of lubricant technology and is expected to work with cross-functional teams including Brand, Product Technical Services, and regional sales.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Develops engine oils for Chevron Lubricants in alignment with sector, segment and product line strategies. Applications include on- and off-highway diesel trucks/equipment, natural gas engines, passenger cars, motorcycles, inland marine and railroad engines. Specific area of work will be based on the successful candidates experience and business needs.
- Applies project management skills. Understands the needs of customer, engine manufacturer, and industry requirements. Develops well-defined, well-planned programs with stage-gates, timelines, and budget targets.
- Interprets data and test results and draws conclusions against project objectives/requirements.
- Communicates technical program results, benchmarking information and conclusions.
- Manages base oil changes and leverages our global experience with equity and non-equity base oils.
- Develops strong relationships with additive suppliers to assess their technology options/capabilities and with major OEMs to determine their current and future lubricant needs
- Defends the brand. Works effectively with Brand Management and Technical Support functions to understand and address field problems and communicate Chevron position to customers and OEMs.
- May represent Chevron at industry technical meetings such as American Society of Testing and Materials, API, Society of Automotive Engineers and others.
- Reinforces the Chevron Way values.
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering
- Minmum 5 years experience/knowledge of Lubricants or Lubricant Additives and Experience in the Lubricants or Lubricants Additives Industry with an understanding of tribology, fundamentals of lubrication, additive chemistry and internal combustion engine operation, design, or maintenance
- Project Management/Leadership: able to set priorities to meet business objectives while being flexible to manage changing priorities; can work on multiple projects concurrently; can work independently while keeping key stakeholders aware of critical decision points; capable of driving a diverse team to project completion in line with business needs and timeline
- Teamwork: demonstrated ability to work effectively and cooperatively with technical, product management, and marketing personnel from diverse backgrounds in a team environment.
- Communication: ability to communicate effectively across varied disciplines in a clear and concise manner: orally, written, presentation
- Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills: ability to understand complex issues, analyze data and then develop appropriate solutions/conclusions
- Creativity and Innovation: has a proven track record of translating a basic idea or concept into a well-laid-out test plan, designed to generate the data to demonstrate a performance differentiation
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering
Relocation Options: Relocation may be considered.
International Considerations: Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.