The Associate Research Engineer will work under the direction of the group lead with the primary role of electrolyte formulation preparation, assembling and testing small electrochemical vehicles to evaluate battery materials. This individual will be required to operate software used to program and run the battery testing instrument, as well as to process and report test data in a standardized format. The Associate Research Engineer will also be responsible for preparing powder samples for analysis, and performing tests to measure their physical properties. Support may also be required for evaluation of electrolytes and separators. Results and data analysis will be summarized in written reports and maintained in laboratory notebooks and intranet locations.
- Electrolyte formulation preparation and evaluation
- Assembling and testing of electrochemical test vehicles to evaluate battery materials
- Processing, recording and tracking test data using certain software tools
- Preparing electrode for multi-layer cell building
- Conduct electrochemical cell teardown and failure mode analysis with analytical techniques
- Conduct testing of cells made with various electrolytes to assess gas volume and expansion
- Manage inventory of R&D chemicals, and monitor safety practices in the lab
- Performing other functions as required to support the R&D operation
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Proficiency with Microsoft excel and have some mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to work with analytical balances, some chemicals, and general lab-ware is necessary
- General lab skills, as well as ability to learn instrumentation software are a must.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Demonstrated ability to perform various math calculations and use test / measuring devices.
- Experience working with glove boxes and dry room is preferred.
- Experience with batteries or electrochemical systems a strong plus
- Familiarity with Statistical Process Control, and Design of Experiments a plus
A123 is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.