The Research Scientist 2, Cell Biology is responsible for leading a broad range of experimentation to functionally characterize Halozyme drug candidates using a diverse range of techniques, including biochemical assays that characterize proteins and polysaccharides, cell-based assays that assess proliferation, cell death and signaling, and ex vivo assays of biological samples.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
These may include but are not limited to:
- Develop and optimize cell-based assays to characterize Halozyme drug candidates using cell growth inhibition, cytotoxicity and other known mechanisms of action as functional read out
- Design and execute studies to understand the mechanism of action of Halozyme drug candidates using state-of-art biochemical, cell biology, imaging and genomic tools, including qPCR, gene silencing/CRISPR & expression, immunoassays, live cell imaging analysis, flow cytometry, fluorescent microscopy, confocal scanning microscopy, etc.
- Establish 3D tumor spheroid and organoid culture system, 2D and 3D co-cultures with stromal fibroblast and/or immune cells to effectively model the tumor micronenvironment in vitro, and to test the activity of Halozyme drug candidates
- Work closely with other functional groups to ensure successful progression of new compounds through the pre-clinical discovery process
- Perform characterization / mechanism of action studies to better understand Halozyme’s advanced clinical candidate, PEGPH20; provide a rationale for expansion into additional oncology indications and testing of novel combinations with other therapeutics
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contribute to the Cell Biology core function and other department function, as needed
- Represent Cell Biology group in cross-functional project teams, as requested
- Prioritize and support activities outside of functional group, as appropriate
- Draft and finalize study reports and manuscripts, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- A minimum of a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Immunology and Biomedical Science with some post-graduate experience (an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered)
- Hands-on expertise in cancer biology
- Strong research and publication track record.
- Hands-on experience with cell-based assays, 2D/3D cell culture, flow cytometry, qPCR, fluorescence microscopy, etc.
- Effective technical and scientific problem-solving skills in a project driven, multi-disciplinary environment
- Proven ability to multi-task
- Excellent presentation, writing and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to present externally at domestic and international conference and at internal team meetings
- Strong fit with Halozyme’s core values: team oriented and accountable, results focused, resourceful, self-driven and enthusiastic with the ability to thrive in a dynamic environment
- Highly collaborative with the ability to forge strong, productive working relationships with other functional groups and departments within Halozyme
- Hands-on experience with genomic and transcriptome analyses highly desirable
- Working knowledge of the extracellular matrix and the tumor microenvironmnent and experience with 3D tumor models are highly desirable
- Industry experience preferred but not required
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
Equipment: PC, scanners, facsimile machine, voice mail and e-mail systems, and common office machines, or ability to be trained. Knowledge of other equipment required: N/A
Software Knowledge: Windows, MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel). Knowledge of other software required: N/A
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS:
- This individual will work closely with other groups within the Nonclinical team and with cross functional teams. There may be need to work with external CROs.
EFFORT REQUIRED/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Physical Activities: On a continuous basis, sit at desk for a long period of time; intermittently answer telephone and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means. Some walking and lifting up to 20 lbs. may be required. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and responsibilities.
Laboratory Activities, if applicable: Biology and chemical laboratory environments experience needed. Environmental health and safety requirements also apply.
Travel may be required up to 5% of your time