Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Intern of Safety Engineering will:
- Perform data collection and analysis to assist in safety risk assessments of civil infrastructure, stations, shops, and other field work locations.
- Perform analysis of existing incident data to support cases for capital expenditures.
- Assist in conducting safety reviews of schematics and specifications for projects in the acquisition or design phase.
- Assist Lead System Safety Specialists in field work, including performing Job Safety Analyses for specific work tasks or equipment.
- Perform/support analysis of infrastructure or data sets in support of safety risk assessments and prepare presentations of results.
- Perform field observations and data collection to assist System Safety, Engineering, and Transportation leadership in the preparation of Risk Assessments and other reports.
- Reviews plans for acquisition and design of various forms of equipment and associated FRA/OSHA regulations and provides input for associated management reviews.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
- Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Available to work a minimum of 15 hours per week between the days/hours: Monday-Friday, 8a-5p
- Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate degree in Safety Engineering, Engineering or Physical Science
- Specific interest or desire to work in the railroad industry.
- Prior simulation/analysis experience with MatLab
- Prior internship or work experience in a rail transportation environment
- Actively pursuing a graduate degree in Engineering or Physical Science
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
You power our progress through your performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
Experience level of the applicant we want
Some work experience, Graduate, Undergraduate, College / Sixth form
Industry of our company/organisation
Accountancy, banking and finance,
Business, consulting and management,
Charity, non profit, voluntary,
Creative arts and design,
Energy and utilities,
Engineering and manufacturing,
Environment and agriculture,
Hospitality and events management,
Law enforcement and security,
Leisure, sport and tourism,
Marketing, advertising and PR,
Media and internet,
Property and construction,
Public services and administration,
Recruitment and HR,
Science and pharmaceuticals,
Teacher training and education,
Transport and logistics