This position will support the Automotive Applications team, within 3D Printing and Digital Manufacturing, by investigating and developing new textures and methods of texture application in CAD software. The candidate will work closely with the team to design and develop solutions for texturing in a structured summer project. This support includes but is not limited to: interfacing with customers to identify their needs, modifying pre-existing 3D models, building 3D models from scratch, collaborating with the automotive team and adjacent team members, documenting workflows as well as failures and successes, printing test and sample parts, and applying previous knowledge and experience to challenges faced by the team to drive continuous improvement.
Work with assigned mentor(s) to:
- Provide CAD-centered support for the automotive applications team to ensure business objectives are met.
- Design new textures, both independently and to support specific design asks.
- Develop new processes for efficient texture application, and assist customers with texture application.
- Work collaboratively with the team to identify and act on opportunities for showcasing the benefits of 3D printing and redesigning parts.
- Curate an organized library of digital textures and printed tests.
- Working towards a four-year degree in an engineering field.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively.
- Exceptionally strong skills in at least two CAD programs (Blender, Solidworks, Rhinocerous, Creo, Inspire)
- Ability to apply knowledge in relative areas of technologies (Plastics, Mechanical Engineering, Design for Additive Manufaturing)
- Ability to work collaboratively in a technical, fast paced environment.
- Ability to work closely with design leads to meet business goals.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm to learn and apply skills learned in school, and on the job.