Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Intern of Safety Engineering will:
- Perform data collection and analysis to assist in safety risk assessments of civil infrastructure, stations, shops, and other field work locations.
- Perform analysis of existing incident data to support cases for capital expenditures.
- Assist in conducting safety reviews of schematics and specifications for projects in the acquisition or design phase.
- Assist Lead System Safety Specialists in field work, including performing Job Safety Analyses for specific work tasks or equipment.
- Perform/support analysis of infrastructure or data sets in support of safety risk assessments and prepare presentations of results.
- Perform field observations and data collection to assist System Safety, Engineering, and Transportation leadership in the preparation of Risk Assessments and other reports.
- Reviews plans for acquisition and design of various forms of equipment and associated FRA/OSHA regulations and provides input for associated management reviews.
•This position begins Summer 2019
- Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate degree in Safety Engineering, Engineering or Physical Science
- Prior simulation/analysis experience with MatLab
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
- Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Available to work a minimum of 15 hours per week between the days/hours: Monday-Friday, 8a-5p
- Specific interest or desire to work in the railroad industry.
- Prior internship or work experience in a rail transportation environment
- Actively pursuing a graduate degree in Engineering or Physical Science
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.