Designing with Embodied Computation
We are looking for a candidate with a strong computational background interested in using Machine Learning and Statistical Analysis to explore, advance, and validate new experimental design methods. As a Machine Learning and Design Intern for The Living, you will gain real-world experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with creative and experienced designers and developers. More specifically, you will explore how to apply Machine Learning and Statistical Analysis to innovative, real-world design projects, including Bio-Materials research and post-processing of Generative Design results. The ideal candidate will enjoy working collaboratively and will have interest and experience in design, machine learning, and statistical analysis.
The Living, a first-of-its-kind Autodesk Studio, explores the future by building full-scale functioning prototypes today. Our projects apply generative design, biology, and new materials to real built projects in the context of technology, culture, and the environment.
Autodesk is working to help solve some of the world's most complex design problems, from pressing ecological challenges to the development of scalable smart infrastructure. Designers use Autodesk tools to not only create plans for buildings, for example, but also to simulate their impact on the environment and track their performance over time.
Autodesk Research is unique in that we are dedicated to innovation and discovery in this realm. Our interests range from methods to help users learn powerful digital prototyping tools, to visualization and simulation techniques which enable designers to achieve new levels of performance. Advancing the state of the art in human-computer interaction, computer graphics, and digital design technology, we collaborate openly with researchers at leading universities around the world.
- In this role, you will collaborate with architects, designers, and software engineers to produce research that pushes forward a spectrum of advanced design techniques. You will participate in ideation sessions, help develop and execute experimental workflows, study, test, and analyze system performance, and produce demonstrative computational models or tools.
- Participate in a small, fast moving design/development team using an iterative process of ideation, design, implementation, and evaluation
- Produce findings, reports, and models from the ideas generated by the team
- Work with the team and research collaborators to evaluate the findings, reports and models
- Present final models / results to stakeholders
- Student must be enrolled as a full-time student in the US at an accredited program with at least one academic term to complete after the internship to be eligible for internship participation
- Pursuing a graduate degree in computer science, data science, environmental science, or architecture is preferred
- Ability to work in team environment in a highly collaborative manner
- Experience with machine learning, generative or procedural design, simulation, and optimization
- Fluency with programming / scripting languages (Python, C#, visual scripting languages preferred)
- A passion for new technology and forward-thinking design solutions for a more resilient environment.
Internships @ Autodesk
Our summer internship program runs for ten to twelve weeks from June–August 2019. We start interviewing in January and continue to on a rolling basis. We accept online applications through March but prioritize early submissions. Each internship project is assigned to a university recruiter who will review your qualifications. You may be considered for other roles that you didn’t directly apply for.
Our Autodesk interns have the opportunity to work alongside peers from universities all over the country and participate in location-based intern events such as tech talks, design nights, mentoring, networking with leadership, baseball games, bowling, amusement parks and more. Benefits for interns include medical, dental, vision, sick leave, volunteer time and paid holiday. In addition, interns receive up to $500 wellness reimbursement (towards eligible purchases) per calendar year.