Buckman is a privately held, global specialty chemical company with headquarters in Memphis, TN, USA, committed to safeguarding the environment, maintaining safety in the workplace, and promoting sustainable development. Buckman works proactively and collaboratively with its worldwide customers in pulp and paper, leather, and water treatment to deliver exceptional service and innovative specialty chemical solutions to help boost productivity, reduce risk, improve product quality, and provide a measurable return on investment.
Research Scientist will be responsible for delivering innovative and accurate products, services and solutions in the Water Treatment domain. Supporting and contributing to leadership of research projects using agile methods in a fast-paced environment that will cross multiple industries globally. Play a technical and consultative role in the physical product/solutions/applications development in support of the global WT goals. Contribute to the creation and maintenance of a research and innovation agenda that ultimately delivers viable solutions for our customers.
- Strong knowledge of industrial water treatment chemistry and solutions
- Knowledge of polymer, scale, and corrosion chemistry is desirable
- Planning and Executing Laboratory-Scale product development and formulation
- Experience in application testing in the areas of corrosion inhibition, scale inhibition and cleaning solutions
- Analytically competent with use of most modern Instrumentation
- Hands-on experience in preparation and evaluation of new water treatment programs
- Demonstrated ability to build new lab testing equipment to duplicate the conditions at the customer site, such as pilot cooling towers, flow loops, etc
- Ability to operate independently and as a part of a high-functioning team
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail orientated and excellent time management skills
- Strong Organizational skills; Self-management; Management and leadership skills
- Desire to constantly seek knowledge to remain relevant in this fast pace technology world
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience in product development and applications in the Water treatment domain
- Preferred experience in the development of products to manage cooling water, boiler water, Waste water, and/or raw water
- Transitioning technologies from laboratory to full scale manufacture and support for commercialization.
- Supporting trials and the development of marketing material
- Conducting customer technical presentations
- Idea management – from concept to implementation
- Intellectual Property development
Ph.D. in Organic, Inorganic, Polymer, or Analytical Chemistry or related discipline (i.e. Engineering, Material Science)