This scholarship is sponsored by the SAE Foundationand through the generous support of the Yanmar America Corporation. Yanmar is the world's largest manufacturer of non-vehicle-use diesel engines. After more than half a century of producing and distributing diesel engines, Yanmar is now deeply committed to all aspects of agriculture, marine transportation, construction and general manufacturing industries. With the motto "to conserve energy is to serve mankind," Yanmar founder Magokichi Yamaoka was quick to recognize the value of the diesel engine over the kerosene engines which Yanmar originally built. Given the urgency of limited fuel supplies and environmental concerns over continued use of fossil fuel, Yanmar established this scholarship to help promote their philosophy.
Student Eligibility Requirements:
- U.S. Resident
- Full-time college junior or post-graduate student.
- Pursue an engineering or related science degree through an ABET accredited program.
- Pursue course of study or research related to the conservation of energy in transportation, agriculture & construction, and power generation. Emphasis will be placed on research or study related to the internal combustion engine.
- Applications will be judged on the basis of previous scholastic performance.
- Additional consideration given for special study or honors in the field of the award, and for leadership achievement related to engineering or science.
Terms of Scholarship:
- One scholarship will be awarded each year for $1,000 per year.
- Scholarship may be renewed at $1,000 a year for one additional years (total award $2,000).
Selection and Announcement of Recipient:
- Recipients will be selected by the SAE Scholarship Committee and notified by the end of June.
Payment of Scholarship Funds:
- This scholarship will be paid into your account at your selected university in July/August.
- It can be used for tuition or any other incidental school expenses.